Yesterday I was watching one of my favorite movies “Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.” After watching it for like 28 times, it was still amazing. Today, I thought a lot about what to write on the blog. I contemplated whole day, then I decided mermaids is kind of a cool topic. If you have watched the movie you’ll understand why I chose this topic. The movie influenced me to visit my most endearing friend Google and find some interesting facts about these mythical creatures of the ocean. There are many films, TV shows, fairy tales, scary stories about mermaids. We cannot state that they are real or not real. We just can identify them and talk about them, not knowing whether they exist or not. I am sure every little girl once in her life dreamed of becoming mermaid like Ariel and live under the sea. Well, I am not an exception. So, here are some things I discovered about those half-woman half-fish personages.
- The first mermaid stories appeared in ancient Assyrian mythology. After conceiving a child with a mortal, the goddess Atargatis transformed herself into a mermaid out of shame, plunging into a lake and morphing into a creature with the head of a human and the body of a fish.
2. Christopher Columbus reported seeing ugly and fat mermaids on his first voyage to America.
3. A mermaid’s kiss is said to permeate a human with the ability to travel underwater.
4. There is a real-life “mermaid” from Australia named Hannah Mermaid. Not only does she custom-design mermaid tails, she performs underwater shows with sharks, dolphins, and more. She is also an advocate of ocean life, supporting charities and commercial ventures.
5. Some of the powers of the mermaid are immortality, seeing the future, telepathy, and hypnosis.
If there is so much talking about them, maybe they are real. There is so much more that we don’t know about the depths of the ocean and its inhabitants. That’s why I don’t exclude such a terrifying possibility.