Coffee! Coffee! Coffee!

The history of coffee began from Ethiopia. Ethiopian shepherds first noticed the effects of coffee (caffeine) when they saw their goats appearing to become frisky or “dance” after eating coffee beans. Originally coffee was eaten. African tribes mixed coffee beans with fat which formed edible energy balls.

Believe it or not, Islam contributed a lot to the popularity of the coffee. Islam prohibited the consumption of alcohol, while coffee was considered as an acceptable drink.

All coffee in the world grows in the “Bean Belt.” The “Bean Belt” is the area between the tropics of Cancer and Capricorn. Hawaii is the only state in the US that grows coffee.

There are two types of coffee beans Arabica and Robusta. 70% of the world consumes Arabica coffee, which is mild and aromatic. The remaining 30% drinks Robusta which is more bitter-tasting but has 50% more caffeine than Arabica.

Coffee grows on trees which can grow up to 30 feet tall (around 9m) but are cultivated around 10 feet (around 3m) tall for easy picking.

The coffee bean is actually a seed inside of a bright red berry. By the way, coffee is the second most traded commodity on earth. Oil is the first.
Espresso |e-spres-oh| (not expresso!!!) is not a particular type of bean, roast, or blend. Espresso is just a way that coffee is prepared: shooting pressurised, hot water trough finely ground coffee.

The term Americano comes from America GIs during the WWII. They would order espresso with water to dilute the strong flavour.

-Robert Voskanyan.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s